Why 2-Way Voice and 1-Way Voice
2-Way Voice (AngelCall) allows a parent to call the device to be able to talk to their child without them needing to “pick up” or click anything. This allows parents to help and support their child from afar, or give them more independence. In some cases, the ring may scare the child and the 1-Way Voice (Listen-In) option allows for a silent call. This option is also important if the child is kidnapped or in a hostile environment (see how AngelSense saved the life of a girl with Aspergers that was sexually assaulted).
The voice options are also critical when the child is indoors, as GPS does not work indoors. The parent can get a better understanding of the child’s location and guide them to safety.
Voice features at School
Schools generally welcome the AngelSense solution and many are using AngelSense during school to help keep the child safe and locate them quickly in case they wander. In some cases, school staff requests parents to use 2-Way Voice to help calm down the child in case of severe meltdowns.
Some schools request the parents to use the voice features in an emergency only.
Other schools require that the voice features are disabled during school hours to comply with school policies against electronic devices.
For schools that require disabling the voice features, AngelSense provides an automated mechanism to disable the voice features according to a predefined schedule specifying school days and school hours.
Control Over the School Schedule
Once defined, the school and parents need to agree on who can change the School Schedule (including enabling it immediately for the same day):
- Parent (default): The parent can sign a commitment letter stating they will not use the voice features during school hours and will only enable it in an emergency situation or on a day that the child is not attending school.
- School: The parent needs to add at least one school staff member as a School Guardian (email and phone number). This school staff will have the ability to override the School Schedule and enable the voice features.
- AngelSense Customer Care: The parent needs to sign a commitment letter relinquishing their ability to change the School Schedule. To change the schedule, the school needs to send a written request from a predefined email address.
In all cases, all parties can receive a notification each time the voice features are enabled/disabled as well as each time the School Schedule itself is changed.
The school hours are determined by the times and dates set up in the School Schedule.
School Guardians Access
School Guardians can be given, by the parent, any of the following options:
- Ability to see the Timeline ONLY during school hours
- As determined by the times and dates set up in the School Schedule
- Receive notifications
- Arrival/departure: Sent ONLY during school hours (as determined by the times and dates set up in the School Schedule)
- Status Changes: Sent anytime a change is made to the voice features.
- Ability to edit the School Schedule
- A notification can be sent when any changes are made
For an overview of the School Dashboard (the school’s view) click here.
Notes for Parents:
- School Guardians do not have the ability to use 2-Way Voice, 1-Way Voice, or the Alarm.
- If you would like to provide your school with full access to the app, just add them as a regular Guardian. (You will not be able to enter the same person as Guardian and School Guardian). You can set their default call mode to AngelCall to restrict them from accessing Listen-In.
- Only Primary Guardians have automatic access to Edit the School Schedule Schedule. We do have the ability to remove a Primary Guardian’s ability to Edit the School Schedule schedule should your school request this of you.
- You can receive notifications of any changes made to the School Schedule
- The “school hours” are determined by the times and dates set up in the School Schedule. The Timeline and Entrance/Exit Notifications to School Guardians are restricted to these times. They will not have access to the Timeline or receive Entrance/Exit Notifications outside of these hours.
- There is no limit to the number of School Guardians you can have.
- We also have letters that you can fill out, for the school, should they be needed. These are attached at the very bottom of this FAQ. These are solely for you to use between you and the School, we do not need these forms sent to us.
- Below you will find a sample letter for use with your IEP and also a sample letter for use with your doctor for a diagnosis of Wandering.
Note for Schools: If you are a school requesting the call features be disabled, please contact the parent to set you up as a School Guardian.
Other Useful Letters
|No Recording Feature on AngelSense Devices.pdf|
|Sample Wandering Prevention IEP Letter – School.docx.pdf|
|Sample Doctor Letter ICD-10-CM Wandering Code – School.docx.pdf|